Translate

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Get It In Writing

Although I have the background and education in business management I still sometimes have to remind myself to always follow my established procedures, no matter the client.
I have many clients, some which I maintain a strictly professional relationship with and other who I have also built somewhat of a personal relationship with. Sometimes when you work closely with others you will not only hear about their business issues but their personal issues as well. I am a great listener, which is probably why I am great at selling, and I can be a big softy sometimes. However, in business there is no room for softies!

You may make friends while doing business but always remember to remain professional when it comes to transactions.  Always make sure that expectations are understood before any work is performed and put it in writing. Always have contracts for services and always make sure their is an exchange of funds.I have learned to never barter for services and here is why:

Let's say you perform 20 hours of work for someone and you typically charge $50 per hour for your services. This will amount to $1,000. Your client tells you that he or she knows you need some computers for your business and you can have some they no longer need in exchange for your services. There may not be anything wrong with this scenario if the computers are newer and up to date but what if they're not. If they are older, don't have WiFi capability, you may be able to get three of these computers for under $300. My point is you may not see the same value in what they are offering as they do. 

If you are exchanging your services for the services of another, the same sort of problem can occur. Maybe their website design will usually bring in $1,200 but the consulting you are performing for him or her only $600. 

It is always best to operate under contracts, spell out your services, and exchange funds to avoid misunderstandings and preserve your business relationships. If it ends up being a wash, let it be a wash but follow your established procedures in your business transactions...no matter the client.

No comments:

Post a Comment